The Kerameikos Archaeological Museum is located at the southwestern end and within the archaeological site of Kerameikos in Athens, towards the end of Ermou Street before its junction with Pireos Street, where the entrance is located. It is a parallelogram ground floor neoclassical building oriented east-west, on a small hill.
In 1863, archaeologists began to house the vases and other works of art found on the excavation site in a small, makeshift outpost. They were exhibits of the German Archaeological Institute until the museum was built in 1937 by architect H. Johannes. The project was financed by Gustav Oberlander, a Prussian businessman. The museum was built in the Kerameikos area, next to the famous archaeological site. The Boehringer brothers contributed financially to the expansion of the museum. It is a small, open-air museum, with only four rooms, but it houses and exhibits several important burial monuments and larger sculptures. Within the museum there is a garden with olive and laurel trees.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.